Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Local Food Watch















I can't document everything strange that we eat, but...these were given to us by a neighbor. To our taste and understanding they were glutinous rice balls covered in sweetened bean paste. Strange, but edible. At least for me, Ana's taste buds cried 'wtf mate' and she was done before she even got through to the rice.















Ana wanted something dessert-ish and I was at the store and saw a huge bag of gumdrops - individually wrapped because the Japanese individually wrap everything. We bought some crackers a while back and they were wrapped two at a time.















Then I opened one up and got the sneaking suspicion that these might not be gumdrops - seemed viscous but liquidy. That and it said "jelly" on it.















Turned out to be individually wrapped jello-like thingies, except the flavor is really weak. This one was orange, but instead of being orange like orange juice or orange soda, it was orange like watered down orange gatorade. Which more like water with a hint of orange than orange itself. Not a winner. I'll eat them at some point but I hope the other flavors are better. And this was what I managed to pick out of the whole candy section. Foodstuff identification failure. FIF for short.

No comments: