Monday, October 6, 2008

Graduate Work in Trash Disposal


After we got our stuff out of the Fedex boxes, we needed to get rid of the boxes themselves as well as packing material and other refuse. Trash disposal is very complicated and regulated here. We have a sixteen page guide on how to do it, with at least ten distinct categories of waste that have to be kept separate and delivered to different places on different days. If you screw it up, members of your community call your real estate representative, who calls your boss, who bitches you out for it, so it isn't recommended. I had seven different types of trash by my count, and I wasn't necessarily sure which categories they fell into, so I sent Ana into school with a list of what we had and instructions to discover for sure what to do with each. That done, the first batch (sliced and diced boxes, bags of newspaper, plus the "burnables" bag) went out this morning and I haven't gotten a phone call yet, so I think it was correct. I never thought I would get such a charge out of not screwing up taking out the trash.

No comments: