Monday, March 16, 2009

Yes, I Fell

Gaijin - gai·jin (gī'jēn', -jĭn')
n. pl. gaijin
A non-Japanese person.

[Japanese : gai, outside, foreign (from Middle Chinese ŋwajh) + jin, person; see jinriksha.]

Trap -trap (trāp)
n.
  1. A contrivance used for catching game or other animals, as a mechanical device that springs shut suddenly.
  2. Any device, stratagem, trick, or the like for catching a person unawares.
Gaijin Trap: ditches along the side of the road in Japan used for irrigation which tend to befuddle foreigners.


I am now well acquainted with this particular stretch. Or, rather, my bike is. Luckily, I just got some scrapes and bruises. If you look at the picture from the prior post, you can see the bike angled directly at the ditch, and me looking back at the camera. This was a mistake. I looked forward just in time to fall in.

Lee's questions were:
  1. Are you okay?
  2. Is the bike okay?
  3. Did anyone see that?
Yes, my friends, I fell into the ditch. We all knew I would sooner or later, it's just a good thing it was at a low speed and no one was there (except Lee) to make fun of me for it. To further illustrate the size of this thing:


Yes, they really are that deep. Some are deeper. This is why the next time we went out, we bought helmets.

All definitions, except for Gaijin Trap, taken from www.dictionary.com.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you are okay (and have purchased protection, just in case there is a "next time")!