Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bamboo Forest

We went out for a walk on Sunday. We have these lovely hills filled with bamboo behind our house, so went up to check them out. We learned that there are some interesting things back there, like a little road and some small farms, a valley that was mostly cleared of trees for some reason (landslide? selective cutting?) and that bamboo is very photogenic. There may also be bears. At least, we think that's what this sign meant:


It was very peaceful and refreshing to go walking up in the semi-wilderness. There are supposedly deer and monkeys, but we saw no wildlife. When the wind blows, the bamboo knock against each other and it sounds like they're all falling down. I tried to get a video, but the wind didn't want to blow when I was ready to capture the undulating bamboo. The way in was mostly uphill, so we had some great views of Kanazawa as well. The tall building you can see left of center in the picture of the city below is the library building of KIT.

Bamboo 6 Bamboo 2 City

Go here for more pictures!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the sign is letting you know that occasionally there bears appear, and therefore to be careful. Still, what a beautiful spot! I'm so envious, and it makes me want to go back (I was in Osaka... never got to Kanazawa, now I want to go).

Unknown said...

I am curious what a Japanese bear would be like...do they roar in Japanese? are they smaller? Do they eat beef (ours eat fish)?...I could go on. Hope you guys are having a blast! really wish we could come visit.