Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hinamatsuri

March 3rd is Hinamatsuri, or Doll's Festival. This is a day for families with girls to put out a display of dolls. The dolls include one representing the Emperor, one for the Empress, and a few musicians and servants.

One of the women I work with gave me a lovely display of amazing origami creations to introduce me to this festival:


The Emperor is the green one and the Empress is the pink one. The two pink cranes are joined at the wing, and were folded that way! Me, I would have folded them separately then used tape or glue. The green ones are kissing, and were joined there before the folding as well. The corner of the paper is another crane connected by its wingtips to the paper. I'm astounded by it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful gift! That is just amazing. And to think it is all paper...