Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Last Thanksgiving in Japan

Quick post to mention that we had a good Thanksgiving and to show off the foodstuffs, which probably look entirely normal and not-impressive to those not living in Japan.  It should be noted I borrowed most of these pictures from our hosts, who took more and better photographs than I.  We had potluck Thanksgiving across town with a whole bunch of gaijin and some Japanese excited to experience Thanksgiving for the first time.

Ana made her usual two pies, one chocolate pudding and one lemon meringue, as well as some rolls.  I made some creamed onions and bought some wine, figuring that her contribution largely covered us.


Ana spent hours making pies.  I spent an hour making a system to transport those pies across the city in a bus, intact.  I checked pretty much every box in the house for appropriate size.  The one on the bottom is the lemon meringue, and the height was increased by putting paper cups at the corners so the meringue would have clearance.  Bubble wrap provided a tight fit around both pie trays.  The whole thing was taped together to make it a unit.  I was quite pleased with myself and the pies arrived whole.




 The hosts procured and managed to fit in their oven a real turkey, which I think you'll agree looked good.

  They put me to work carving the bird, which I did happily, and apparently took pictures while I did.  No memory of that occurring, guess this was serious business.
 
All put together, the various contributions added up to quite a Thanksgiving meal.

 I needed a picture with Ana in it, so here you go.  She had orange socks matching in color and pattern for that sweater, self-knit, naturally.

 Had a good, friendly, fun, tasty time.  Look forward to being in the US and maybe even at home for next year's though.  It's been at least four years since we've actually had a Thanksgiving with our families - this was nice but let's not make it five!


No comments: