Monday, November 28, 2011

New Telephoto Zoom Lens

 If you don't care about the fact that I got a new telephoto zoom lens for my camera, at least I can say that this post features a giant spider. Aside from those, probably nothing that special in this entry.  Anyway, there have been several instances where more lens would have been of benefit to us in chronicling out travels - sumo and yabusame come to mind as recent examples, and we've talked about getting a telephoto lens for a while.  Ana went ahead and got a really fairly spiffy one for my birthday, which is enormous and features about six times as much magnification as the standard lens.  I look forward to employing it under circumstances that actually demand its use, but some of the trial shots I took are a bit interesting and they're all in Kanazawa so I figured I'd just go ahead and post them.

 The camera used to seem big.  Now I laugh at that notion.

Minimum magnification (~2x)

 Maximum magnification (~9x)

 From the hill behind our apartment at minimum...

 ...and at maximum. That stadium is probably six or seven miles away

 Crow on top of the telephone pole

 I was apparently too close to this wildlife - I was noticed and natural behavior was disrupted.

 Minimum zoom (remember, this looks twice as close as it actually is)

 Zoomed in.  I was standing at least 20 feet away.

 This spider's web was between a power line and a phone pole.  It shows up about life-size on my monitor.  These things are everywhere.




No comments: