Saturday, November 7, 2009

Lee's Birthday Meal

I made a lovely cold-weather dinner for Lee's birthday as it finally started getting cold around here. I made Feather Stew, by request, which is a family recipe from Lee's side, and is pretty simple to make, though this version was slightly different than the standard recipe.

You take a bunch of chicken, preferably with skin and bones (hard to come by around here), and brown it in some oil with garlic. Add sauteed mushrooms and water until chicken and mushrooms are just barely covered. We didn't saute the mushrooms and used Shittake mushrooms because button mushrooms are about 25 cents each. I also am not a mushroom person, so leaving them whole meant they were easy to work around for me.


Simmer until chicken falls apart, remove bones and skin and shred the chicken. Typically, you'd then refrigerate this overnight, and remove the layer of congealed fat the next day. Re-heat (or use these fancy oil and fat sucking pads we accidentally purchased here and make it all in one go), then add some white wine and cream, salt and pepper to taste.


Serve over rice with the wine you used to flavor it (we had a very interesting Riesling) with some crusty bread. For dessert, there was apple pie using the extra filling that I made last time before I remembered I only had access to one pie dish.

1 comment:

Debbie Wicker said...

Lee, I remembered your birthday-just nevr sent a card because I was going to send you an ecard-and then I forgot that. So, Happy Beleated Birthday! Don't feel bad-I just sent your Father his card.
Love your blog!
Ana-Help!I need knitting lessons.
Love Aunt Deb